Saturday, March 21, 2009

The last shall be first...

Well.. today was the day, after waking up at 4am, 13.1 miles lay ahead of me and Hannah B. You'd think after running 26.2 miles twice before, this would be a piece of cake - not the case. I told many people that I was really, truly prepared to come in dead last. Everyone laughed, you know, assuming I was doing that thing people do... make yourself look really bad so when you come in with a good time it seems amazing. Well, didn't I prove you all wrong! Now, we didn't finish quite dead last, but pretty close! Out of 4500 people, we beat 14 people. Yep, that's right, 14 people! Ha! Can you believe it! I guess about 60 people didn't finish, so technically we "beat" them too. I'll admit, part of me almost wishes we were dead last, just to say it happened! In my own little defense and to mostly not throw Hannah under the bus... for having a baby 6 months ago, I'm not too ashamed of my time, and Hannah was a great friend and hung with me. I'm sure she'll deny it, but I know she could have run faster. Next year, we'll do another half marathon and it won't be too lofty of a goal to beat our time today. On a happy note, my friend Tiffany ran the half marathon too and was unbelievably fast! I'm so proud of you, Tiff! oh, and it was freezing this morning, even for this MN girl!
Here'a pic of my favorite little fan around mile 7...
Ahh, I'm just glad it's over! Hannah and I had matching shirts she made that on the front said, Hannah2 (Hannah squared, I don't know how to do it on the computer) and on the back it said, We run because, we love cookies! With a picture of Cookie Monster, they were so cute, we got a lot of fun comments along the course.
We've had such a great time over the last couple days with Hannah, Andrea & Coleman. Case and him are great buddies! On Wednesday and Thursday we spent time just hanging out, and on Friday we headed in and toured the monuments and the Holocaust Museum. Today, of coarse, was the race, then we headed off to Rita's and spent the rest of the day relaxing. It's been wonderful! Hannah bought the boys these matching monkey shirts - too cute!

5 comments:

  1. Yay Hannah! Sounds like you had a blast with your girlfriends in town. That's awesome! And yay for not finishing dead last! That'll probably be me in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I love the back of the shirts..."we run because we love cookies."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Hannah! Honestly I did not know you were a runner...and have done Marathons! You go girl! I have been addicted to short courses for a while...but am just upping the "anty" if you will! What was your time...I am a very slow runner and also will be glad to finish, even if it is dead last! Congrats again...and I am so glad to know you blog! Now I can follow your every move =)

    ReplyDelete